This position involves working with and being part of a cross-skilled Web, Android and iOS development team and will have regular contact with teams looking after other aspects of FanDuel products & tools.
Our Principal Engineers are part of a community of our most senior engineers focusing on the organizations most complex, ambitious problems. You will take ownership for technical architecture and operational excellence and lead on some of the most important bodies of technical work in the organisation. You will be a core contributor to the organisations “north star” technical strategy, working with other engineering leaders to drive decisions around programming languages, architecture, products, tools, approaches and processes. Free of line management responsibilities you will provide mentorship and guidance to other engineers, acting as a role model and supporting career progression. Everyone on our team has a big part to play.
What will you do:
- Take ownership of a vertical's architecture, aligning the vertical's Engineers on a common technical strategy;
- Take ownership of a vertical's operational excellence, taking a hands on approach to the resolution of the vertical's most complex issues when needed;
- Write simple code, taking complex paradigms and implementing them in a way that Engineers at all levels can understand and contribute to. Insist on high standards for code quality while not letting perfection be the enemy of good;
- Influence the strategy of the teams, helping them understand how to make technical trade-off decisions between short-term business needs and long-term technology needs.
- Drive engineering engagement best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards for your vertical;
- Help others leverage your expertise, by coaching and mentoring in your organization. Contribute to the professional development of Engineers within the vertical, improving their technical knowledge and engineering practices;
- Support our software as part of an On-Call rotation;
- At least 8+ years experience using Java technologies (Java 11 and/or JavaEE);
- Expert level experience building and designing highly scalable, fault tolerant and highly available systems;
- Experience influencing technical decisions across 25+ person Engineering verticals;
- Understand a broad range of complex data structures and complex algorithms;
- Expert level understanding of design patterns and architectural principles;
- Experienced in making pragmatic trade-off decisions between short term needs and long-term needs;
- Experienced in many modern programming languages e.g. Java or Python or any Functional/OO programming language;
- Demonstrated abilities driving operational excellence and best practices through influence;
What you can expect:
- 25 days of annual leave;
- Sharesave scheme;
- ”Flexible Benefits” of your choice;
- Private health insurance (includes dental insurance and health assessments);
- Free parking;
- Thousands of courses online through ‘Udemy';
Ways of working:
Flexible working is our way of working! We're a diverse workforce and therefore a 'one size fits all' approach isn't necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, let's have a chat and see how we can accommodate them;
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only the suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.
By submitting your application online, you agree that: your details will be used to progress your application for employment. If your application is successful, your details will be used to administer your personnel record.If your application is unsuccessful, we will retain your details for a period no longer than two years, in order to consider you for prospective role within the company.