The Platform Services function is accountable for ensuring that all critical Flutter UK&I systems are maintained at peak uptime, performance, and quality standards to provide the highest possible level of access to our products.
The Platform Delivery Services team are responsible for the development and support of the internal platform tooling for Flutter UK & Ireland (UKI). We provide fully managed, scalable, secure, and cost-effective software solutions to our colleagues across UKI.
Our services include CI/CD Tools (Jenkins, GitHub Actions and Self-Hosted Runners), Source Control (GitHub, Gitlab, Bitbucket), IaC tooling (Chef, Ansible), Apache Kafka, Confluent Cloud and Artifactory. You will be responsible for ensuring that users are able to consume these services, while implementing appropriate guardrails and automation to reduce risk and ease adoption.
We pride ourselves on offering products that allow engineers and developers to do what they do best, and our services supports the continuous growth of our business, so we must deliver outstanding quality and performance.
The role would be suited to an experienced team lead or a senior engineer who is looking to start their journey into management & leadership.
As an Associate Engineering Manager, you would provide support to the Engineering Manager in delegation of management tasks, working within an agile framework, owning agile ceremonies and providing hands-on technical guidance and support to the team and to our internal stakeholders.
The role will also facilitate stakeholder management and will be required to assist with development of team members, act as coach to the development teams in areas such as deployment, monitoring, automation and systems integration.
This role will be based at our offices in Leeds UK or Cluj, Romania and will require occasional travel to our offices in Cluj, Leeds, Porto, and Hammersmith/Dublin.
- Develop tooling and automation for our services, writing code in Go (Golang), Groovy, Ruby and Java when necessary.
- Providing support via Slack to our internal colleagues and working with the latest technologies to develop the toolset, driven by business priorities and internal stakeholder requirements.
- Provision on-premises and cloud resources as code using Terraform, Chef, Ansible, AWS CDK, and Kubernetes.
- Reviewing platform code changes and approving or suggesting improvements to authors as appropriate.
- Operational Excellence planning with a focus on reduction of Incidents, technical debt and reactionary work.
- Defining and driving best practice, including creating and optimising procedures and processes, tools and techniques for the Platform Delivery teams to utilise from inception, design, deployment, change control process, through to documentation
- Production of effective reporting on KPI’s
- Effective stakeholder management and ability to manage critical Incidents
- Provide coaching, professional development performance appraisal for platform engineers, including ongoing feedback from stakeholders as to the team member’s performance.
- Helping to deliver training schedule for platform engineers.
- Consult with IT Governance functions to ensure Risks and Audit points are mitigated in the Operational area. Along with internal and external Audits.
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Production Support, Reliability Engineering and Service Management to ensure that the required support structures are in place.
- Contribute towards the preparation of roadmap for new products and services based on current capabilities, business strategy and emerging technologies.
- Support, and occasionally lead on, agile ceremonies including backlog refinement, sprint planning, retrospectives and Scrum management.
- Enthusiastic, motivated and willing to make your mark.
- Strong technical background, engineering skills and a passion for technology.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a pragmatic attitude.
- A customer-first mentality
- Capable of working in the demanding environment of mission-critical business systems
- Negotiation and influencing skills.
- Strong communicator, able to communicate technical information to non-technical stakeholders when required.
- Proactive stakeholder identification and management
- A strong desire to drive continual improvement.
- Keep up to date with the latest open-source technology and have the confidence to suggest areas where new tools or practices can help deliver business value.
- Work experience as a Senior DevOps Engineer or similar software engineering role where you have been exposed to team leadership, Scrum Master or ADL responsibilities.
- Experience with at least one of the following: Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Kubernetes or AWS CDK.
- Good knowledge and experience of Red Hat Enterprise/ CentOS / Rocky Linux systems administration
- Experience in application deployment and configuration on Linux platforms (Jenkins, Artifactory, Gitlab)
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Deployment
- Experience to use scripting technologies (Bash, Ruby, Python) to create/modify scripts
- Experience with configuring and administering tools such as Gitlab/GitHub, Jenkins, Artifactory
- Implementation and configuration of monitoring and alerting tools
- Experience of load balancing products and/or clustering (HA and HPCC)
- Experiences in cloud technology and infrastructure (AWS, OpenStack, VMWare)
- Offering support for Development and QA teams
- Experience with maintaining Apache Kafka clusters and complimentary services, such as Kafka Connect and Schema Registry
- Networking experience and knowledge
- Experience with Agile or Scrum methodologies
- Experience working within robust ITSM Frameworks
- Provide well maintained documentation for owned components.
- Minimize manual processes and provide automated solutions.
Personal leadership style: Places a high priority on developing and empowering others, develops follow team members through coaching, feedback and stretch assignments, aligns career development goals with organisational objectives. Is resilient and confident under pressure, handles and manages crisis effectively.
Stakeholder engagement and relationship management: Works cooperatively and partners with others across the organisation to get work done.
Ability to drive change: Talks about the future possibilities in a positive way, creates milestones and symbols to rally support behind the vision. Articulates the vision in a way everyone can relate to. Creates energy and optimism for the future.
Detail Oriented: Understand the dependencies between components and how they combine to deliver service to the consumer and business. Easily recognize system deficiencies and implement effective solutions.
Challenge the status quo: Comfortable asking questions and challenging technical or business decisions. Will look for a better answer than “that’s how it has always been done”. Able to Suggest alternative solutions that may be more efficient and actively improve the tooling to improve use cases.
What you can expect:
25 days of annual leave
„Flexible Benefits” of your choice
Private health insurance (includes dental insurance and health assessments)
Thousands of courses online through ‘Udemy'
Ways of working:
Flexible working is our way of working! We're a diverse workforce and therefore a 'one size fits all' approach isn't necessarily best. Whatever your personal needs may be, let's have a chat and see how we can accommodate them; We thank all applicants for their interest, however only the suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.
By submitting your application online, you agree that: your details will be used to progress your application for employment. If your application is successful, your details will be used to administer your personnel record. If your application is unsuccessful, we will retain your details for a period no longer than two years